Tex Mex Potato Salad with Lime Cilantro Vinaigrette
Bright and well balanced, this Tex Mex Potato Salad with Lime Cilantro Vinaigrette snuggles up perfectly with a grilled fresh chorizo, or spicy grilled chicken. A true taste of summer.
Looking for a new potato salad for cottage season? We’ve got your recipe! I must know thirty versions of potato salad. In the professional kitchen potato salad is a fallback favorite. It’s easy to twist into something interesting and different so long as you don’t stray too far. It must be familiar enough to sell, but funked-up enough to peek the interest of even the most hardened foodie. Enter Tex Mex Potato Salad.
Balanced and fresh this is one of my go-to potato salads on hot summer days. The lime cilantro vinaigrette also plays well on bitter greens or a lightly sauteed pepper salad. We paired the Tex Mex Potato Salad in with our Avocado Chicken Sliders, picking up the lime and cilantro and carrying it through the meal.
Live it up with great flavour.
- 2 pounds mini-potatoes (red or white), cut in half
- ½ red pepper, diced
- ½ yellow pepper, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 4 - 6 green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
- fresh cilantro to finish
- Load potatoes into a large pot and cover with cold water, with water level an inch or two above the potatoes. Add 1 teaspoon of salt to water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and keep at a low boil until potatoes are tender but still firm and intact (10 - 12 minutes). Drain, rinse with cold water and transfer to serving bowl.
- While potatoes cook let's make the lime cilantro vinaigrette. In a decent sized measuring cup or deep bowl combine olive oil, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, mustard, cumin, salt & pepper and blend with an immersion blender until emulsified and creamy (about 90 seconds).
- Once potatoes are cooked, but still warm in the bowl, add diced red onion, red and yellow pepper and chopped green onion. Drizzle with vinaigrette, toss and season as needed.