This Tiramisu Pancakes recipe is a direct result of my lack of will power. A simplified Brunch oriented version of the classic Italian dessert, I’m sure Nona would not be impressed. And you know what? So delicious, I don’t care.
Tiramisu Pancakes, perfect for Mother’s Day particularly if you’re getting the kids in the kitchen. Ideal for children 8 – 12 years old. I ask you, what kid doesn’t love pancakes?! Think of it, with this recipe they learn to make pancakes, coffee and whipped cream. This way they can make their own breakfast… and the coffee and whipped cream? Well that just says “Mommy needs a Spanish Coffee!” to me.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- ½ cup espresso or double strength coffee
- 2 tablespoons rum or brandy
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Combine dry ingredients; flour, baking powder, baking soda, regular sugar and salt in a large bowl. Whisk well to mix. In a separate bowl add butter milk, egg, melted butter and vanilla and whisk until smooth. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and beat well until no lumps remain.
- Heat electric griddle to 300°F (150°C) and lightly coat with oil, wipe away excess with a paper towel. If using a pan on the stove top set your heat to about medium. Ladle pancakes on to cooking surface being sure to leave enough room for the batter to spread. Pancake is ready to flip when the bubbles rising through the batter in the middle of the pancake start to burst. Flip and finish cooking on the other side. Once done, remove and place on a sheet pan with a layer of paper towel on the bottom to cool.
- As pancakes cook combine coffee and rum/brandy in a small bowl. In a separate bowl stir mascarpone to soften further. In a separate container whip heavy cream to soft peaks, adding the icing sugar prior. Fold the whipped cream in with the soft mascarpone and stir well. Reserve cold, until needed.
- Once the pancakes are cool to the touch start your assembly. Place a pancake on the plate, brush it well with boozy coffee mixture. Take about a tablespoon of mascarpone mixture and spread it gently on the pancake then place a pancake on top and repeat until done. Dust with cocoa on top either serve immediately or reserve cold until needed.