Avocado Chicken Sliders with Grilled Corn Salsa
Light and fresh, it’s Mexican grilled corn on a slider, baby! Really, all you need is a couple of Avocado Chicken Sliders with Grilled Corn Salsa and a bottle of tequila and it’s party time.
These sliders just say fun to me. Good clean fun, healthy fats fun. Fun with a side of fitness. So simple and full of flavour. It’s your next impromptu party on the deck recipe.
A Balanced Burger
Creamy smooth avocado brings a fatty element to a chicken burger, making them moist and juicy. A touch of lime brings a needed hint of acid. Cilantro lends an earthy herbal element and the spicing is bold without being overpowering.
Be cautious not to overcook these patties or they could easily be dry and mealy. A good way to ensure success is to be sure your mini-patties are on the thicker side. We paired the chicken avocado patties with a nutty, sweet whole wheat bun. One of my favorite slider tips: if you can’t find slider buns at your local grocer, opt for tray buns. They’re the perfect size, light and fluffy and easily sourced.
Avocado Notes for Non-Millennials
Never chopped an avocado before? It’s easy, slice around the outside, twist to separate, remove the pit, slice the flesh in the shell of the skin with the tip of your knife then remove it with a spoon, running it around the outside then scooping the flesh out of the skin without a mark. Voila.
Below you’ll find the recipe for both the chicken sliders and the Ancho Chile Mayo. You can find our recipe for Grilled Corn Salsa here. It also works as a condiment for salads, chorizo sausages or spicy chicken.
If you make these adorable Avocado Chicken Sliders, send us a picture and we’ll post it on our social media feed. Always love to hear from you. Live, love EAT well!
Messy fun and yet… healthy.
- ***Avocado Chicken Sliders***
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 large ripe avocado - cut into chunks
- 1 chopped clove of garlic
- ⅓ cup panko (or almond meal for gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- salt & pepper, to taste
- ½ cup freshly grated Cotija cheese (substitute: asiago)
- ***Ancho Lime Mayo***
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 lime, both juice & zest
- 1 tablespoon ground ancho chile pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt to taste (optional)
- ***Avocado Chicken Sliders*** In a large bowl, combine all ingredients, gently so as not to mash the avocado. Shape into desired size patties, and place on baking sheet. Chill for a minimum of 20 minutes before cooking, coat patties with non-stick spray and grill. Si as not to burn the avocado, once patties are well marked, shift to indirect heat, and allow to cook through until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- ***Ancho Lime Mayo*** Toss everything in a small bowl, mix well with a spoon. Hold until needed. I like to do this mayo first, it will just get better as it sits. The flavour will marry better. Ideally make it a couple of hours ahead, or even the day before.
- ***Assemble*** Coat both top and bottom of your bun with the ancho lime mayo, add a little red leaf lettuce to the bottom bun, layer on your patty then top with corn salsa and then a pinch of cheese. (I like a nice moist whole wheat but for this burger.)