Bacon Cheddar Cornbread Muffins
A savory cornbread recipe loaded with cheese, bacon, onions and kick of heat. This easy to make Bacon Cheddar Cornbread Muffin recipe works on so many levels.
Fall welcomes so many flavours back to the kitchen – rich caramels, hearty soups and stews, warm sweet pears and the last of the season’s corn. This fall it’s even more important that anything I do be easy to execute as I nurse an injured thumb. (Seriously, it’s amazing how much you use your thumb!)
I’m considering renaming the blog ‘One Thumb Cooking’ for the time being, as this super-sexy-goes-with-everything splint has caused me to re-think my entire fall-winter editorial calendar. (Thank goodness for the chef in my life who chops and dices what I need in advance.)
Effortless being the name of the game, these tasty little Bacon Cheddar Cornbread Muffins sure fit the bill. Enjoy warm with butter, or as a starchy accompaniment with eggs for breakfast, with a spicy beef chili for dinner, a warm bowl of soup or punchy salad for lunch or straight up as an afternoon snack. Completely irresistible!
- 8 slices bacon
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 4 green onions (or chives), chopped
- 1 + ¼ cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1¼ cup shredded extra sharp cheddar, divided
- Cook bacon until just beginning to crisp, on the stove top in a frying pan. Remove and drain on paper towel to cool. Drain off most of the bacon grease, leaving 1-2 tablespoons behind then add yellow onion and sweat over medium heat until tender and starting to brown around the edges, about 7 minutes.
- While bacon and onions cook, preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Prepare a 12 cup muffin pan: lightly with non-stick spray (bacon grease or butter) or line with paper muffin liners. (Or use a silicone muffin pan like the one above and skip the liners and extra fat.)
- Lightly whisk together buttermilk, olive oil and egg in a small bowl. Combine dry ingredients – flour, cornmeal, baking powder and soda, salt, chili powder and red pepper flakes – in a larger bowl. Add wet mix to dry mix and fold a few times with a spatula or wooden spoon to start to combine.
- Lightly chop bacon, add half the bacon to your mix along with all of the onion (both the cooked yellow and raw green) and 1 cup of the cheese, then mix until just combined. DO NOT OVER MIX. Divide cornbread batter equally among baking cups filling about the ¾ mark. Sprinkle remaining bacon and cheese on top. Bake in 400°F (205°C) 15 – 20 minutes or until a toothpick in center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Remove Bacon Cheddar Cornbread Muffins from the pan to cool on wire racks.