Smoked Gouda Burger with Tomato Compote & Pecan Mayo
Still stuck in a burger box? Add new flavour to your burger repertoire. Just in time for Father’s Day, the Smoked Gouda Burger with Tomato Compote & Pecan Mayo. Niiiiiiice.
A big, beefy burger with a smoky cheese cooked right in, this is a burger for Dad. No fancy stuff, just good old fashioned salt, pepper and coffee. Wait. What?! Yes. Coffee. It’s not just for breakfast anymore. Coffee balances the smokiness of the cheese and brings out the natural intensity of the beef. You don’t need much to make a big difference, about a tablespoon of strong espresso per pound of ground beef. It’s amazing the difference it makes.
Build A “WOW” Burger
Oh sure, we couldn’t just leave it at that, we had to get all fancy-pants with a fresh Tomato Compote (because catsup is so passé!) and whip up a Pecan Mayo, and like… who ever heard for that?! Trust me. The Smoked Gouda Burger is a burger that will wow those that love a good cheese burger, and breathe new life into your weekend shenanigans.
While we’re talking burger, here’s one of my favorite tricks of the trade. Ever wonder how we get the seasoning just right on raw meat mixes for things like sausages, patés and burgers? We taste. Of course we can’t taste raw meat, so first we season and then pinch a little piece off and toss it in a hot pan so we can taste and adjust as needed. Perfect burgers, every time.
If you’re nervous about the coffee thing add half the called for amount then taste test. If you’re so excited to use coffee in a new way you can hardly contain yourself, go all in and season the patties at the last minute with a dash of himalayan sea salt and ground coffee. Just a dash mind you… but go ahead… play with your food!
- ***Smoked Gouda Burgers***
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1½ cups smoked gouda, grated
- 2 tablespoons strong espresso
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- ***Pecan Mayo***
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup pecan pieces
- ***Tomato Compote***
- 1½ cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ***Smoked Gouda Burgers*** Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well, using hands or spatula. Divide meat into evenly sized meatballs then shape into patties. Place patties on a tray or sheet pan, and chill for a minimum of 20 minutes (or as long as overnight).
- Heat grill or barbecue to about 350°F. Coat patties well with non-stick spray before placing on the grill. With this high a fat content in your burgers, you will get flare ups for be sure you mind your grill well while cooking. Char well before your first quarter turn for good grill marks. When done to your liking, remove from heat and rest 3 - 5 minutes for best results.
- ***Pecan Mayo*** Roast pecans in a 350°F oven until evenly coloured. Reserve to cool. When cool combine mayo and pecans in food processor and blend until mostly smooth. It's good to have a few chunky bits in this mayo. (You can prep this days ahead if needed, it just gets better as it sits in the fridge, looking tempting.)
- ***Tomato Compote*** Add the tomatoes and remaining ingredients to a small pot. Bring to a boil then simmer on low to reduce the resulting liquid by about two thirds, until you have a jam-like consistency. (About 20 to 25 minutes.) Stir occasionally, especially as it begins to thicken to prevent scorching. Cool and reserve until needed.